Saturday, November 3, 2012

Testing James' Immune System

James had a rough day.  His intestines are pretty backed up so he hasn't been able to eat much.  I have been pumping him through with water and prune juice to try to loosen up his stool and get him back to normal.  Hopefully by tomorrow we will be seeing results.

Recently, we have been much more lax about germs around our house.  Since James' birth we have been extremely antibacterial lotion-friendly.  Actually, it had become my new best friend.  However, we didn't wanted to coddle his immune system forever and never let him build up a germ immunity.  So, we have been a little less cautious.  I still wash my hands every time I walk in the door, and use antibacterial lotion probably 10 times a day, but that is actually a step down from where I was.  I've also been much more lax about guests washing when they come in, but had made a pact to change that, now that flu season is upon us.

Well, too late.  James has his first major cold of the year.  He only had one other serious cold in his life, thanks to our diligent cleanliness.  Two weeks after he came home from the NICU it sent him back to the hospital for a month.

Our little man with a bad cold at one and a half months.

The good news is, he doesn't have a tube in his nose this time!  So, he should be able to breathe much easier.  And I am not sick due to the constant sleep deprivation of new parenting so that should also help.  :D  After James' stint in the hospital with his cold the doctors were very concerned about the strength of his immune system.  They weren't sure he could handle fighting small infections on his own.    I don't think that is true, especially now, but their words keep running through my head.  We will just have to keep our fingers crossed, pray, and get James good immunity boosting foods to help get him through.

If you have a chance to say a quick prayer for his speedy recovery that would be much appreciated.  We are hospital-free for seven months now and would like to stay that way.

With love.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, poor little guy. I'll say a prayer he gets better soon. ~Trena

    ReplyDelete