Friday, July 27, 2012

Happy 1st Birthday, James!!!

Look at the stars, look how they shine for you
And everything you do,
Yeah they were all yellow...

Your skin, your skin and bones
Turn into something beautiful.
You know I, 
You know I love you so, you know I love you so.

I swam across, I jumped across for you,
Oh what a thing to do
'Cuz you were all yellow...

You know,
For you I'd bleed myself dry, for you I'd bleed myself dry.

When James was in the hospital for heart surgery I had a few special songs I would sing to comfort him.  Although he preferred Wagon Wheel, this one was my favorite.  I've always liked the song, but it had new meaning in our situation.  I still love to sing for him when I tuck him in at night and, although I don't always remember the correct words, the sentiment of this song means a lot.

It is amazing to look back over the year and everything James has been through: learning to eat, having a feeding tube in his nose, physical therapy, a virus that sent him to the hospital, a "tet spell," g-tube placement surgery (twice), more physical therapy, heart surgery, speech and feeding therapy, several ER visits, winter isolation, a g-tube lodged in his intestinal valve, more physical therapy, and learning to eat again.

I really admire our son.  He has been so brave and happy through everything.  He has truly taught us to appreciate life.

To be honest, I didn't think we would make it to his first birthday.  I can't count the number of times we received terrifying predictions and diagnoses from doctors, but James has proved everyone wrong.

We thank God for our beautiful son (even when he wakes up and screams at 4:30AM) and can't wait to see what this next year has in store.  Thank you all for your support and love!

Check out his early morning birthday dance party:



With love.

1 comment: